When Pedro Tassinari, Chemical Engineer graduated from the Polytechnic School of the University of Sao Paulo in 1950, came to live in Orlândia – small town in São Paulo – he had come only to be the responsible engineer for Mogiana Vegetable Oil Company’s installation – the COMOVE.
However, after four years working on COMOVE, gaining experience, he had been always willing to have his own business, and above all, considering his entrepreneurial spirit, he did not hesitate to note a significant market demand at that time – the nails market.
Thus it was founded, on December 24th 1954, the FAPOL – Orlândia Nails Factory. At that time, the factory was housed in two rented properties in the downtown area, and it employed only 12 employees.
One of the main features of Morlan, since its foundation, has always been the appreciation of the human being. The employees were very simple people, used to working in the fields, and they have learned the trade of manufacturing nails starting from the moment they began working in the industry, always with the guidance and assistance of the founder of FAPOL.
These simple people took care of the production and factory with extreme promptness and dedication. It was common in those days that, in the period the harvest had begun, some workers resigned themselves in order to return to the cultivation, and the solution that FAPOL found to overcome this problem was to hire people already known by other employees (friends, their children, siblings, nephews) – people of their total trust that had known how to be appropriate, responsible and zealous ones, with no interest in returning to the fields.
Many of the employees who have come to work at the factory in the early years of its foundation are in Morlan until the present day, even retirees.
It was common in those days that, in the period the harvest had begun, some workers resigned themselves in order to return to the cultivation, and the solution that FAPOL found to overcome this problem was to hire people already known by other employees…
The search for improvements and innovations were constant. Soon ideas and opportunities have emerged, involving new machines, new stages of processing, manufacture of new products, etc., and then the available space has became insufficient and it was necessary to increase the factory to have more space for a deposit, an area for storage of raw materials, to receive new machines, etc.
And that has happened several times, until in the 70s, when Morlan bought a land with 365.000m², and began the construction of the new headquarters of the company (which today has 52.000m² of built area) and a club for leisure of the employees.
The address change process began in 1979 and took 02 years – all so that production would not suffer any damage and the delivery times were not affected.
Other changes had also occurred during this period: the number of employees had grown and several investments had been made in the quality of the production process, in the implementation of new technologies, in the acquisition of modern machines, in the inclusion of several new products and, of course, in the quality control.
The starting point for such an advance was when Morlan stopped buying the ready wire for the manufacture of nails and started to benefit the wire rod, implementing the pickling process, wiredrawing, annealing, and thereafter the galvanization.